Question: What is the difference between the Republican Party and a religious cult?
Answer: The Republican Party is better funded.
Yes, the Republican Party is now nothing more than a mindless cult. What evidence do I have to present such a theory? Here are just a few examples in each category. I could go on for days if I tried to list them all.
1. Science: Republicans deny science. Climate change and all the reasons behind it are unequivocally denied. Evolution is denied. They deny homosexuality is not a choice. They believe rape cannot lead to pregnancy.
2. Reason: They are almost completely incapable of reasoning. Whatever the Party tells them, they believe. Trickle-down economics has never worked, but their Party tells them it does, so they believe it. Giving more money to rich people to help poor people makes absolutely no sense. Given a few moments of thought, a rational person should be able to reason this out. But the Party tells them the only reason people are poor is because they are lazy, so they believe it.
3. Evidence: Republicans ignore evidence that contradicts their Party messaging. Trickle-down economics has succeeded only in making the rich richer and the poor poorer. Over thirty years of this policy has produced the greatest disparity between the wealthy and the poor of any developed nation. America’s wealth distribution is worse than it was just before the Great Depression. But contrary to this evidence, Republicans are told this is solely because CEO’s work hard and poor people are lazy.
4. Facts: As with Evidence, Republicans simply ignore any contradictions to their Party messaging. During his 2008 campaign, then Senator Obama visited an automobile plant in Janesville, WI, which had already started laying off workers. Candidate Obama said the factory should switch from producing inefficient, gas-guzzling SUV’s to hybrids in preparation of a future green economy. He said “that if our government is there to support you, and give you the assistance you need to re-tool and make this transition, that this plant will be here for another hundred years." The plant closed on December 23, 2008, one month before Obama even became President. Current Republican Vice Presidential candidate, Paul Ryan translated that into this lie: Obama broke his promise to keep the plant open for another 100 years. That is factually inaccurate.
5. Fantasy: When Facts, Evidence, Reason and/or Science do not conform to the Republican Party’s messaging, they invent their own. And this is the key to the entire existence of the current Republican Party, since very little of what they want is what the majority of America wants. When it was pointed out that the Janesville plant closed before Obama became President, Ryan explained on the Today Show, "What I was saying is the president ought to be held to account for broken promises. After the plant was shut down he said he would lead efforts to restart the plant. It's still idle." Obama never said he “would lead efforts to restart the plant.” That was a completely fabricated lie, which Obama never said. To a Republican living in the Republ-o-sphere, it does not matter if it is a lie. A Republican said it, repeated it, repeated it again and again, so it is now irrefutable fact.
So, after all this, do you understand why the Republican Party should now be considered a mindless cult? No? You think I’m full of crap on my reasoning? You still don’t believe that Republicans have invented their own world to live in, separate from all facts that exist in the really real world?
Then, don’t go to Conservapedia: The Trustworthy Encyclopedia, the alternative to the “liberally biased” Wikipedia. It might confuse you as to which alternative reality you happen to be living in.
And I won’t even delve into the completely fictional character the Republicans have invented in their alternate universe whom they call Barack Hussein Obama.
Or the completely fictitious world where Republicans are better for the economy.
And don’t get me started on the completely manufactured reality where Republicans are better at defense. How many times did foreign terrorists attack America under Bush? Obama? Who NEVER sent Americans after bin Laden? Who gave the order that killed bin Laden? Who captured or killed more terrorists and their leaders? Who ended a war that was started for no reason?
Then there’s the pretend universe where all the Founding Fathers were Christians and America was founded on Christian principles. History also falls under the Fantasy heading for Republicans who wish to remake America in their own bigoted, intolerant image.
Shall I mention the NY Times op-ed piece that Mittens wrote four years ago titled Let Detroit Go Bankrupt? Then after Obama bailed it out and it became successful and they repaid their debt, Mittens went through the reality portal into a universe where he said that’s what he said to do and that the President took his advice so Mittens decided to take credit for saving the auto industry?
Or how about that fantasy fear-mongering that the Affordable Care Act is the complete government take-over of the health care system? As a friend responded to this alter-verse notion, "How is buying private health insurance socialism? More to the point...how is making people buy private health insurance so they can stop freeloading off our ERs socialism? It's only socialism if you have no idea what socialism is. Of course, Tea Party folks are only against it because of who was on the clock when it passed.
When the Heritage Foundation first came up with the plan in the late 80s, it was brilliant. When Congressional Republicans brought it to the table in 1994 to counter HillaryCare, it was free market capitalism at its finest. When Libertarians pushed it in Reason Magazine as late as 2004 in response to Kerry advocating a single payer system - it was the last best hope to preserve a free market solution to healthcare.
Now that Obama was in office when it passed? Somehow making people pay for their own private health insurance instead of leeching off the system is socialism."
Are we better off than we were four years ago?
In this universe?
Since my rant was relatively short this time
(not counting the space pictures take up),
please read THIS post.
FDR in 1936